Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Mommy

Our day is something like this... 


I start my day and try to get up before Jackson, in a desperate attempt to brush my teeth and chug what might be my only glass of water for the next 5 hours.


I love getting him up in the morning, he's well rested, happy and smiling at me from his crib. AND his baby-energizer bunny battery is recharged for a few hours of destruction. It all starts with a diaper change. Anyone who's had a baby, knows how fun diaper changes are once babies become mobile. Why can't they invent a change table like this:



This is where the ninja training comes in. I have to be stealthy and illusive when I change his diaper. He's still mad that he's been made to sit still for 2 seconds, but if I'm quick enough, the drama is kept to a minimum.

After ruining what started out as a good day by being a mean mommy and changing his diaper, it's breakfast time! If I'm lucky i can distract him with toys for a few minutes while i make his breakfast. If that doesn't work, my last resort is cheerios. (As a distraction, not his meal, there aren't enough cheerios in the world to fill his bottomless pit)
I shovel what i hope is a healthy balanced meal into his gullet, although i am never fast enough to make him happy. After eating more food than most grown men, it is time for...the FACE CLOTH. This is where things get crazy folks. I used to wipe his high chair tray down first, thinking he would see the face cloth as a harmless object. Boy was i wrong. I though i could make face wiping a fun game, make goofy sounds while doing it, to amuse him.  Still wrong. I've learned that this is another area where stealth and speed are key. I'm still perfecting my technique, but we're down to almost no crying come face wiping time. 

After breakfast time is over, i try and occupy him for a few minutes with the buckles of his high chair, yep the buckles. Generally giving me 2 minutes to clean up the breakfast mess. BTW i haven't eaten yet.

Next is playtime, which really is anytime he's not eating or sleeping. Sometime there are brief periods where he'll happily play alone. Sometimes i just have to sit with him while he amuses himself. The majority of the time I'm chasing him, and saying no a million times over. Usually when he is trying to pull out the outlet covers (useless things) unplug lamps etc and eat the plugs, lick the garbage can (which i do keep clean, but still, GROSS), or assault the cat (one of his favorite things to "pull up" on is the cat). I try and squeeze a few books in here and there, I've heard that reading is good? 

If I'm lucky he'll have a mid morning nap, around 11, if not, he'll go down at 2. It was FAB when he had an early nap, i could eat breakfast then. Now that he's going longer periods between naps, i have to eat breakfast IN.FRONT.OF.HIM. Which means i have to share. One spoonful for mommy, a few pieces of cereal for Jackson. Oi. At this point, i usually try and start drinking my coffee. Which is very cold, and about 2.5 hours old already. Don't worry, it'll take me another 4 hours to finish it.

With that, i'll finish er' up with another post...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha! Oh boy, that's a long morning. I'm tired just from reading!

Unknown said...

PS- I like the new layout! Love the trees!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...