Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Healthy Eating Plan

Today i made homemade granola. i know granola is high in fat and calories, but a little in moderation is a great source of fibre. It also makes plain yogurt way more flavourful. If you've read my previous post, we're kicking the packaged food habit around here and loving it! Even "healthy" pre-made foods have weirdo additives and junk in them. So I'm making everything i can.

Basic granola recipe:

5 cups oats
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
Whatever nuts/seeds/dried fruit you want. Not more than 2 cups, or it will overpower the oats. (I used raisins, sunflower seeds, cranberries, and papaya)

Stir it all together until well mixed, and spread on a baking sheet. Bake for at least 30 mins at 250 (until it just starts to brown). If you want it to stay in small pieces stir it occasionally, or I'll end up in big chunks.

Voila!




I used a cake pan because i wrecked my cookie sheet making maple glazed salmon. Oi!







This is what Jackson did while i baked. Repeatedly throwing his toys off of the high chair and watching momma pick them up. 
(Yes he has squash on his shirt, what can i say, it's just me and him here during the day. I have squash on my short also...or is that avocado?)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...